I know that the chemicals used in the process of fracking for oil and gas are dangerous, but this information just blows me away:
- 25% of the chemicals known to be used in fracking fluids are implicated in cancer
- 37% can disrupt the endocrine system, and
- 40% – 50% can cause nervous, immune and cardiovascular system problems
This is a terrifying finding – and just one of many collected by Sandra Steingraber and the Concerned Health Professionals of New York in a recently released compendium of info on the risks and harms of fracking for oil and gas.
We are proud to host Dr. Steingraber, renowned activist and author of several books including Living Downstream and Raising Elijah, in San Francisco today to discuss how fracking impacts public health. I hope you can join us.
What: “How Fracking Impacts Public Health” with Sandra Steingraber, Ph.D.
When: Wednesday, July 23 from 5:30 to 7:30pm
Where: San Francisco Public Library, 100 Larkin St., San Francisco (The Latino/Hispanic Meeting Room)
Online: This event will also be available via livestream for those who cannot attend in person. The livestream will start promptly at 5:45pm.
Additional speakers include:
- Dr. Robert Gould, MD, President, Physicians for Social Responsibility
- Seth Shonkoff, Ph.D., MPH, Executive Director, Physicians Scientists & Engineers for Healthy Energy
- Lisa Hartmayer, RN, MSN, NP and member of Alliance of Nurses for Healthy Environments
- Erin Carrera, RN and California Nurses Association leader at UCSF
This community event is free and open to the public - please RSVP for this important public forum and invite your friends.