Breast Cancer Action is seeking a motivated and detail oriented individual to work in collaboration with program staff to develop a speaker’s bureau advocate training program. Intern will be involved in recruiting interested volunteers, developing training curriculum and working with partner organizations. This is an exciting opportunity to be involved in the creation of a new project engaging Breast Cancer Action’s diverse national membership.
Breast Cancer Action (BCAction) is a national breast cancer education and advocacy organization. We carry the voices of people affected by breast cancer to inspire and compel the changes necessary to address and end the epidemic. BCAction is committed to taking meaningful action to meet the needs of women living with breast cancer and to stop breast cancer before it starts. We work to:
- Address and eliminate the social inequities women of color and low income women face in breast cancer diagnoses, treatments, and mortality rates.
- Advocate for more effective and less toxic breast cancer treatments for all breast cancers.
- Decrease involuntary environmental exposures that put people at risk for breast cancer.
An internship/volunteer position with BCAction provides the opportunity to learn more about the politics of breast cancer and to take part in grassroots women’s health and environmental activism. Interns/Volunteers will work at BCAction’s national office in downtown San Francisco. Interns/Volunteers participate in the day-to-day operations of the organization and are supervised by a program staff member who helps design and oversee intern/volunteer projects.
Tasks: The Advocate Recruitment and Training Intern/Volunteer, in partnership with program staff, will:
- Coordinate engagement with partner organizations
- Recruit and train volunteer speakers
- Develop outreach materials to potential speakers
- Develop advocacy curriculum for speakers bureau training
- Develop speaking engagement objectives and speaker outline and materials
- Communicate with partners to support new and existing speakers
- Create and maintain calendar of potential speaking events
- Schedule speaking events
- Other duties as necessary
- Interest in breast cancer and social justice
- Great attention to detail
- Ability to commit to a minimum of 15 hours per week
- Fluency in Spanish
Interns/Volunteers Will Have the Opportunity to:
- Develop skills in volunteer recruitment and training
- Write outreach materials and curriculum development
- Work with dedicated, passionate non-profit staff members
- Gain a deeper understanding of the breast cancer epidemic through a social justice lens
- Gain professional development
Internship/Volunteer position dates: on-going
Pay: This is an unpaid position. School credit may be available to current students.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter explaining your interest in and qualification for this position, along with your resume to Education and Mobilization Coordinator Sahru Keiser at email@example.com.