1. Join us for a public forum about the health impacts of fracking: From inciting short-term illnesses like nosebleeds, to increasing risks for long-term illnesses like breast cancer, fracking and other forms of extreme extraction continue to endanger the health of communities across the country. In California, the country’s third largest oil-producing state, the situation is especially dire—extraction operations take place just feet away from where people live and where children play. Join us on April 18th in Sacramento for a public forum about the health impacts of extreme oil and gas extraction. Speakers will include individuals from impacted communities, health professionals and scientists.
2. Become a Community Leader for Change: As a grassroots organization, our members are our strength. We exist because of the thousands of people who take action, in ways big and small, to further our work to end the breast cancer epidemic. Our Community Leaders for Change program provides a space for members who are ready to take their involvement in this movement to the next level. Learn more here and meet Shazia, our newest Community Leader.
3. Join our Hell Rai$ers for Health team: One important way Breast Cancer Action members support our education and activism for women’s health is to raise money to fund our work. We rely on our grassroots network – people like you – to support our work, and nearly 75% of our funding comes from individuals. Members have lots of creative ways to mobilize their community’s support for our activism, from bike rides to knitting parties, online fundraising pages, house parties, and more. Learn more here and don’t miss member Kari Napoli’s story about fundraising to support our work.
4. Become a California Cancer Fracktivist: The movement to end fracking and other forms of extreme extraction in California is heating up bigtime, and we want you to become a California Cancer Fracktivist to get more involved in our work to ban these toxic processes in the Golden State. When you sign up, we’ll send you local and statewide opportunities to get involved and give you the materials you need to oppose fracking on the frontlines.
5. Save the Date: Join us and many partners from across the country as we march to “Unfrack the DNC” in Philadelphia, PA on July 24, 2016. Keep an eye on your email; we’ll send out all the info soon. If you’re not on our email list yet, sign up here.