By Kira Jones, Communications Manager
“Do something besides worry.” I was struck by the simple power of this slogan when I first came to Breast Cancer Action for a summer internship in 2007. Now, as the Communications Manager for this radical and compassionate organization that never shies away from the hard truths, the phrase rings just as true.
With Pinktober just around the corner, I’m excited to share some ways that you can “do something” to get ready for the onslaught of pink and to challenge the hypocrisy of the breast cancer industry.
- Brush up on our “Critical Questions for Conscious Consumers“so you’re ready to assess all the pink ribbon promotions—and help your community do the same.
- Create a “Don’t Pink For Me” fundraising campaign to support Breast Cancer Action.You can trust us because we’re free from conflicts of interest. Tell your friends and family “Don’t Pink for Me” and ask them to make a donation to Breast Cancer Action in your honor instead.
- Spread the word about our work and tell your friends to sign up for our emails: Make sure your family and friends are in-the-know about our campaign when we launch at the beginning of October.
- Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter. Be ready to “like” and share our posts with your friends and retweet us using our this year’s Think Before Your Pink®campaign hashtag. Your active engagement helps amplify our message!
- Gather with others in the SF Bay Area Breast Cancer Action community at our Action Speak Louder than Pink – Food for Thoughtfundraising dinner on October 15 for a thought-provoking program accompanied by a delicious meal.
Together, year after year, our collective action has changed the landscape of pink ribbon marketing and made pinkwashing companies change their ways. Let’s do it again this year. We’re counting down the days until we launch this year’s Think Before You Pink® campaign. Watch for an email about how you can join us in action!