By Tania Katan
I’m a two-time breast cancer survivor and Breast Cancer Action is my very favorite breast cancer organization. I LOVE being the emcee for their Acting Out—For the Health of It variety show because this event is the embodiment of being alive. This is a LIVE event, the performers always bring incredible energy, and all those involved in producing it, performing in it, and showing up to receive it are deeply committed to women’s health.
Join us! Here are the details:
5th annual Acting Out – For the Health of It
6-7pm: VIP reception (even more live music, hors d’eourvres, and a chance to meet the artists)
7:15-9:30pm: Variety show and silent auction
Presented at Brava Theater, 2781 24th St, San Francisco, CA
We have an excellent line-up of Bay Area performers who are generously donating their time and talent to the show including:
- Gifted poet, vocalist, and spoken word artist Nazelah Jamison performing a powerful spoken word piece
- Dynamic dance duo, Jo Kreiter and Vitali Kononov, with a piece they created just for this show
- Thao Ngyuen, hilarious creator of the acclaimed one-woman show Fortunate Daughter, getting you laughing with her stand-up comedy
- High energy acoustic band Rusty Stringfield will take you on a twisted trip from traditional bluegrass to soul, reggae, and arena rock (maybe all at once)
- Jenni Mork, a member of Bay Area Young Survivors (BAYS), reading a piece about changing bodies, after-effects of cancer treatment, and sexuality
- Folk singer/songwriter “Misisipi Mike” Wolf, twice voted “Best Singer/Songwriter” by the San Francisco Bay Guardian, playing at the VIP reception
All proceeds from the event go toward Breast Cancer Action’s kick-butt activism and educational programs for women’s health.
See you on February 9th!