Work at Breast Cancer Action
Thank you for your interest in working at Breast Cancer Action! We currently have the following positions open.
Breast Cancer Action (BCAction) is accepting applications for a Campaigns Coordinator to lead BCAction’s national campaigns and direct actions that engage and mobilize our activist community across the country. We are looking for an individual who thrives in a collaborative work environment and who is passionate about BCAction’s mission and work, including ensuring that all our work is grounded in social justice. A key area of responsibility includes leading BCAction’s award-winning Think Before You Pink® (TB4UP) campaign, which calls attention to how pink ribbon marketing and culture distract attention away from the bold action we need in order to achieve health justice for all women at risk of and living with breast cancer. The Campaigns Coordinator is a core member of the Program Team and reports to the Deputy Director.
About Breast Cancer Action
BCAction is a national education and activist non-profit organization based in San Francisco, CA working to achieve health justice for all women at risk of and living with breast cancer. With over 60,000 members nationwide, including Community Leaders across the country and a national Board of Directors, BCAction is the watchdog for the breast cancer movement. In our work to put women’s health before corporate profits, we launched our award-winning Think Before You Pink® campaign in 2002 and coined the term “pinkwashing.” We are able to serve as the independent, trusted voice for women’s health because we have a strict conflict of interest policy and refuse accept corporate funding from any company that profits from or contributes to cancer.
Applicants should have a demonstrated understanding of and commitment to women’s health issues from a feminist perspective, as well as dedication to social and environmental justice, and grassroots organizing. S/he is a talented and strategic organizer, skilled communicator and strong facilitator who can engage a diverse network of members, partners, and other stakeholders around BCAction’s programs and campaigns. The successful applicant is well-versed in grassroots organizing strategy, including online campaigns, is self-motivated, an excellent multi-tasker, and enthusiastically embraces the mission and work of BCAction.
Lead BCAction campaigns, starting with a collaborative process of campaign development through campaign execution and wrap up, including but not limited to:
- With key staff, monitor emerging breast cancer issues and assess landscape to identify opportunities for impactful corporate, legislative and other advocacy campaigns;
- Facilitate a collaborative process to seek broad stakeholder input and evaluate possible campaigns;
- With key staff, develop campaign goals, strategy and responsive tactics to advance BCAction’s mission and promote organizational goals;
- Lead the development and execution of BCAction’s annual Think Before You Pink (TB4UP) campaign;
- Develop and implement campaign plans including keeping to timeline, coordinating tasks across staff, developing powerful collateral and graphics, mobilizing members, tracking goals, etc.;
- Strengthen and expand partner and coalition support for BCAction campaigns;
- Advance policy advocacy goals and identify key pressure points and levers;
- Implement and execute all aspects of effective grassroots and legislative advocacy campaigns.
Facilitate movement-building, member growth and engagement, including but not limited to:
- Participate and represent BCAction on national and regional coalitions, maintaining and strengthening collaborative relationships with partner organizations, and seek and build new relationships;
- Develop and implement movement-building strategies to grow membership and deepen member engagement;
- Promote BCAction’s programs and work to ensure quality and impact of all programs, materials, and campaigns.
Plan and execute program events nationwide, including but not limited to:
- Monitor, analyze and disseminate information on key breast cancer issues as needed;
- Expand and engage BCAction’s national membership;
- Organize on-the-ground advocacy efforts, rallies, community events, etc.;
- Create activist training materials that are appealing and useful for diverse audiences;
- Recruit and manage volunteers to engage diverse national membership in serving as spokespeople, ambassadors, and advocates.
Write and deliver informative and compelling program communications, including but not limited to:
- Serve as an inspiring advocate, educator, and spokesperson on campaigns and advocacy issues;
- Develop content reflecting BCAction’s unique perspective and voice;
- Participate in the development of evidence-based, accessible campaign materials;
- Bring social justice analysis and grounding to all work;
- Provide media support and interviews as needed;
- Substantially contribute to newsletter, e-alerts, website, social media, etc.
Other duties as needed, including and not limited to:
- Support organizational mission and strategic priorities;
- Participate in inter- and intra-departmental collaboration and support;
- As appropriate, seek input from stakeholders, including members living with breast cancer;
- Assist in developing and keeping to Program budget;
- Research and stay informed about breast cancer issues central to BCAction’s mission and work, including and not limited to the FDA approval process, links between environmental toxins and breast cancer, anti-fracking work, etc.;
- Recruit and manage volunteers as needed.
- Minimum 3-5 years relevant experience, including grassroots campaigns, legislative advocacy and online organizing, preferably with a social and racial justice focus;
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience;
- Expertise in public health, environmental justice, community health or other relevant experience;
- Excellent group facilitation skills and a strong history of working collaboratively;
- Excellent project management skills, attention to detail and follow-through;
- Excellent writing skills for a variety of media and audiences;
- Keen investigative skills and ability to seek information from different sources and perspectives through multiple collection methods;
- Ability to convey complex scientific evidence in accessible ways to diverse communities;
- Strong working knowledge of best practices in online campaigns, and ability to implement from start to finish;
- Experience promoting campaigns via social media;
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks at once and work effectively in a changing environment both independently and as part of a team;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office environment);
- Sense of humor;
- Ability and willingness to work some evenings and weekends.
Please email your resumé and cover letter, highlighting relevant experience along with your salary requirements, to email@example.com using the subject line “Campaigns Coordinator”. Also include a writing sample that provides evidence of your ability to convey technical information clearly to a lay audience (no longer than 4 pages). No phone calls please. Resumés will be accepted on a rolling basis and position will remain open until filled.
The Campaigns Coordinator is a full-time, exempt position. Benefits include medical, dental and vision coverage and three weeks paid vacation. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Breast Cancer Action is committed to equal opportunity in employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, sex, gender, age, disability, citizenship or veteran status as provided by law. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.