Work at Breast Cancer Action
Thank you for your interest in working at Breast Cancer Action! See current opportunities below.
For our current internship opportunities, learn more here.
About Breast Cancer Action
Breast Cancer Action is not your average breast cancer organization. BCAction is fiercely independent and refuses corporate funding from any company that profits from or contributes to breast cancer, which means they can always put women’s health first.
BCAction is focused on achieving health justice for all women living with and at risk of breast cancer. Radical and compassionate, BCAction never shies away from the hard truths. They tell it like it is about breast cancer: 40,000 women die of this devastating disease every year, and we don’t have nearly enough to show for the billions of dollars raised in the name of breast cancer.
BCAction was founded in 1990 by a handful of women who were living with and dying from breast cancer and who demanded answers about their disease. Today, BCAction is a national grassroots organization with 50,000 members across the country. Together they are challenging the status quo and working to address and end the breast cancer epidemic.
Among the endless sea of lucrative breast cancer charities, corporate donors, and pharmaceutical-funded research agendas, the independent voice that defines BCAction has never been more urgently needed, and the organization’s relevance as an activist watchdog organization is greater than ever. BCAction focuses on systemic interventions that will address the root causes of the disease and produce broad public health benefits.
BCAction believes in:
- Health justice as a human right
- Honesty, fearlessness, and truth-telling about the breast cancer epidemic
- Honoring women’s diverse voices and lived experiences
- People’s health and well-being over corporate profits
- Transparency and accountability for themselves and others
- Integrity and freedom from conflict of interest
- Collective action that changes the world for the better
Breast Cancer Action is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Breast Cancer Action does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
For more information about our work please visit www.bcaction.org.
Current Opportunities at Breast Cancer Action
Development & Communications Associate
The Development & Communications Associate provides essential support for our small team of staff, Board, and volunteer fundraisers, and works with our national membership of over 60,000. The Development & Communications Associate manages donor records, optimizes the membership database (Salesforce), and contributes to a variety of communications and fundraising tasks.
About the Role
The successful candidate is a problem-solver who is excited to implement systems, motivated by our positive impact in creating change, and eager to support colleagues. This is a position for someone with development and online communications experience who wants to support our important mission. You will have opportunities to grow your donor relations skills, increase your knowledge and mastery of the Salesforce database, and learn more about the tenets of fundraising for social justice from and communications with a grassroots membership.
The Development & Communications Associate is a full time, salaried, position based in San Francisco and reports to the Deputy Director. (Due to the current shelter in place order, this position may start as a remote position and transition back to our office after the order has been lifted.)
Data Entry and Integrity
- Ongoing database management and maintenance to ensure data integrity
- Enter donation, pledge, and member information data into Salesforce
- Pull and prepare mailing list for appeals, events, and stewardship mailings
- Prepare reports and dashboards, providing access to data and metrics quickly and efficiently
- Work with Office Manager on monthly financial reconciliation
Donor Identification, Stewardship, and Cultivation
- Acknowledge all donations with accurate, personalized acknowledgment within 72 hours of receiving the donation
- Conduct donor prospecting and research existing donors
- Create materials and prepare packets for donor meetings
- Assist in developing and executing cultivation and stewardship activities and events
Communications & Technology
- Manage the back end of member email system (MailChimp), including creating lists, cleaning lists, and setting up emails
- Maintain content on the website
- Periodically do small graphic design projects, including creating graphics for emails and social media
- Pull lists from database for program and communications purposes
- Help staff troubleshoot email system, website, and social media issues
Additional Fundraising Activities
- Prepare applications for all local, state, and federal employee-giving campaigns
- Coordinate in-house mailings of appeals, event invitations, and stewardship mailings
- Manage auctions for fundraising events
- Periodically work with Office Manager to recruit and supervise volunteers
- Keep inventory of all event supplies in office and restock as needed
- Assist the development department with event preparation and special projects
- Track gifts from workplace giving portals and maintain organizational information on those portals
- Periodically update organizational information on Guidestar, Charity Navigator, etc.
- Other duties as needed
This position is ideal for candidates looking to build on their current experience. Applicants should have an understanding and appreciation of donor-centered fundraising and online communications as it applies to a grassroots base. The successful applicant is self-motivated and an excellent multi-tasker, has keen attention to detail, and enthusiastically embraces the mission and culture of Breast Cancer Action.
- 2+ years fundraising experience with a non-profit organization
- Experience using and managing donor database;, experience with Salesforce a plus
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks at the same time, juggling short-term and long-term tasks and priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Strong communication skills
- Passionate and enthusiastic about our work, with a proactive, can-do attitude
- Keen attention to detail
- Proficiency in WordPress, Microsoft Office, and mass e-mail tools
- Knowledge of Photoshop and InDesign a plus
- Sound judgement and willingness to ask for help
- Sense of humor and willingness to take self lightly while working hard
- Ability and willingness to work some evenings and weekends
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and position will remain open until filled. Please email your resumé and a detailed cover letter, highlighting relevant experience along with your salary requirements, to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Development & Communications Associate.” Please include a writing sample that provides evidence of your ability to clearly communicate complex information in an accessible way (no longer than 2 pages). No phone calls please. People of color, gender and sexual minorities, and people with a personal experience with cancer are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Development & Communications Associate is a full-time, exempt position. Salary range is $50,000-55,000, commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical, dental and vision coverage, and three weeks paid vacation.
San Francisco, CA or Flexible, USA
Breast Cancer Action seeks a dynamic and visionary Executive Director with the passion and experience to lead the effort to address and end the breast cancer epidemic. This is an incredible opportunity for a social justice leader to envision BCAction’s next phase of national impact.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will provide the overall leadership, strategy, and vision for the organization. BCAction has a budget approaching $1M, a national Board of ten directors, and six staff currently based in San Francisco. The organization values a culture of integrity, trust, and respect, where people feel confident working autonomously and as a team. This moment for the organization brings the opportunity for BCAction to increase its national footprint, and the Board of Directors is open to candidates who live outside of the Bay Area and who want to facilitate the development of a more nationally represented team.
The core responsibilities of the Executive Director will include:
Strategic Vision and Organizational Leadership
- Create and implement the long-term goals and strategies for BCAction, supporting staff in analyzing and developing the organization’s positions on emerging scientific research, treatments, and public health policy
- Develop specific strategies to extend BCAction’s membership and outreach to those patients and communities who have limited voice and limited access to information and support resources
- Mentor, empower, and develop BCAction’s staff, supporting a culture that is respectful, fast-paced, and mission-driven
- Support and grow BCAction’s national membership
- In partnership with the Deputy Director, ensure that the day-to-day operations and programs of BCAction are smoothly and effectively administered; provide appropriate oversight of program staff activities, fundraising and finance, and overall systems and procedures
- Pursue new and sustainable fundraising opportunities, with the aim of increasing organizational revenue over time
- Create plans to strategically engage and steward donors, including individual and institutional funders, in support of BCAction’s work
- Partner with the Board, Deputy Director, and Development staff to elevate BCAction’s national profile, growing the voice of BCAction in order to amplify and extend the reach of the organization
External Advocate and Spokesperson
- Ensure that the full BCAction team continues to be the go-to expert in providing thorough, clear, and unbiased information about breast cancer and treatment options
- Speak prominently and passionately about breast cancer, its impact from the patient’s perspective, and on the need for BCAction’s continued advocacy for better policies, treatments, and risk reduction; As the chief spokesperson for BCAction, the Executive Director should be a dynamic and persuasive communicator
- Maintain positive relations with other advocates for public health, environmental justice, cancer research, funders, political and policy thought-leaders, and other constituencies that can influence and support BCAction positions
- Partner closely with the Chair in informing and engaging the Board, supporting in continued cohesion and collaboration of the Board members
- Facilitate the Board’s alignment with the organizational strategy, and with their roles and responsibilities as engaged and productive stakeholders
- In partnership with the current Board, identify and recruit new Board members whose talents, backgrounds, personal commitment, and fundraising abilities are congruent with the needs and mission of BCAction
Values Alignment and Commitment to the Mission
- Foster a shared commitment to BCAction’s mission and values, ensuring that BCAction continues to build on its strong reputation as an activist watchdog organization and an independent voice and resource for people with and affected by breast cancer
- Hold deeply the social justice values of the organization, recognizing that the breast cancer epidemic is a social justice issue, and the vital role the organization plays in building solidarity with communities who currently and/or traditionally have had limited access to power, information, and resources
- Believe in and further develop the organization’s grassroots membership model, and continue to cultivate an internal culture that is collaborative, flexible, and operates with a high degree of integrity and trust
The ideal candidate will have the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics:
- A social justice leader; experience in analyzing research and policy in public health, environmental justice, cancer, women’s issues, reproductive rights, and/or related areas issues
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills, including significant experience with the media
- Proven managerial skills and financial experience, preferably through work in a nonprofit that has advocacy as its mission; ability to manage remotely and to support a positive staff culture
- A successful track record of attracting financial support from individuals and foundations; comfort with grassroots fundraising and personally interacting with and cultivating donors
- A demonstrated ability to develop and strengthen relationships with a broad range of people, such as policy makers, the media, conservation organizations, politicians, government representatives, medical personnel, scientists, activists, and others; an ability to work across diverse cultures and communities and in different economic and operating environments
- Deep personal commitment to addressing and ending the breast cancer epidemic; ability to inspire others to share BCAction’s core values
Compensation & Benefits
The annual salary for this role will be $120,000. Breast Cancer Action also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including healthcare, vacation, and sabbatical.
To apply, please visit https://koyapartners.com/search/breast-cancer-action-ed/.